Sunday, June 28, 2015

Digital Portfolio Reflection


Digital Portfolio Reflection Badge
http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/746362/21805974/1359672018440/wl_bmtn_finish_line_020313.jpg?token=pHjFjeIf6Yo9WAIlBrqOjcrJU9I%3D
Almost there! 



Virtual Identity and Audience of My Work

I initially created this blog for a previous class, but I think that it was appropriate to use it again for this class.  This blog is a good representation of a lot of my graduate work over the past year, and I think that it accurately reflects who I am as a graduate student. 
I chose the name Brick Pollitt, because he is a character from my favorite play, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams.  This name connects with my love of literature while also allowing me to preserve some anonymity in the online world.  I am not ashamed or embarrassed by anything on my blog, but I don’t necessarily want students or parents to find it and question it.  I want the blog to remain public so that it allows me to connect and interact with educators who choose to take part in similar discussions, but I don’t necessarily want my online life so closely connected with my personal life.
My intended audience for this portfolio was primarily my classmates and instructors of the classes.  We had the shared experience of the course readings, and so the portfolio/blog is merely a part of the larger conversation that we shared over the course of two semesters.  However, I also realize that the audience could go beyond this class and extend to those in the online community who are interested in the topics that I discuss.  I don’t expect too many people to stumble across my blog, but I plan on leaving it public so that I have future opportunities for discussion.  I also know that I can get more involved in the educational community that is actively involved online, and I can choose to actively share my blog.  I am already a member of English Companion, and I know that there is a passionate community of educators associated with that website.

Reflection on Artifacts and Documents

            I am proud of the lot of the work that I have done for this course, and I appreciate my classmates’ contributions to this experience.  Their comments supported and challenged me as I navigated the readings of the curriculum.  My reflection on badges and gamification initiated a conversation with my classmates that challenged me, but also provided me with some new perspectives.  In that case my blog reflection showed that the readings had changed my view of badges.  At the beginning of this course, I thought that badges seemed a bit silly.  However, after the course reading, I saw badges as similar to traditional assessments.  Jacinth and EloiseThree challenged my view and pointed out the real benefits of badges, and I found their comments to be very helpful.  I think that this conversation resulted in a lot of growth for me.
            My reflection on multimodal composition and assessment was also some of my best work, and I know that it will be quite useful for me in the future.  The course readings challenged my print-based bias, and forced me to reconsider my own educational experiences.  Writing that blog post made me realize that writing is most convincing and engaging when it is multimodal.  Even though it can be hard to assess, educators must be willing to embrace it.
            Jacinth’s entry on the 3P’s was extremely helpful to me, and it stands out as one of the blog entries that I really remember from this course.  She shared her experience with a senior class and how she shifted the course to digital portfolios.  I appreciated that she shared her struggles in implementing new curriculum, but she also outlined how she made plans to handle challenges when they arose.  This story was inspiring and showed the potential of digital portfolios.
            Hoku Lani’s blog about digital badges and gamification was also extremely helpful to me.  She shared her experience with some badge programs, and she also offered some great resources to check out (SmithsonianQuests,  Mindshift).  Her blog made me realize that I need to do some more exploration in digital badges, before I cast judgment on the idea.  Her willingness to share her experience showed me that badges can provide a sense of accomplishment that will motivate some learners.

Learning Outcomes

Course Objective: Students will assemble their own electronic portfolio, based on a badge-system approach.

This course objective was relevant to me because I had very little experience with badges and electronic portfolios.  In just one month, I feel like I have a very strong grasp of these topics, and I can integrate new ideas into my classroom.  My blog entries demonstrate that I am comfortable with multimodal writing and digital portfolios, and my wall of badges shows that I have embraced and succeeded in the badge system.

Course Objective: Students will explore specific e-assessment topics aligned with their current teaching needs, interests, and areas of professional development.

            This course objective was extremely practical for me, and I think that I have achieved this goal through my course reading and reflection.  I have a much better understanding of e-assessment of writing.  Before this course I was not familiar with the technologies that were available for e-assessment.  My blog entry demonstrates that I am much more familiar with these technologies, and I also understand their strengths and weaknesses.  My classroom goals at the end of each blog entry will also provide me with a guideline for avenues to take when further pursuing professional growth.

Nationally Recognized Standards: ISTE 3a and 3b



Through my work in this class, I have clearly “demonstrated fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations.”  My blog is a living example of multimodal writing and reflection on new technologies and the changing educational landscape, and my elective badges also provide evidence of that work.  My building community badges are evidence that I have “collaborate[d] with students, peers, parents and community members using digital tools and resources to support student success and innovation.”  The comments that I have left for my classmates and received from them demonstrate that I am a part of a collaborative community of educators who are taking steps so that our students can be engaged and successful citizens. 

Next Steps for Professional Learning

 I am excited to say that this class will be my final class of my graduate program, and I will immediately be putting together my online MEd portfolio so that I can graduate this summer. Even though my formalized program will be complete, I hope to maintain my blog for educational purposes.  I also would like to become more involved in EnglishCompanion so that I can feel like I am a part of that active community of educators.  I also hope to spend some time this summer exploring Connected Learning and Digital Is to see if they could help me in my professional development.

Finish Line Image Source:  http://www.lifetime-weightloss.com/blog/2013/1/30/the-finishing-line-effect.html

No comments:

Post a Comment