Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Moving Beyond the Pen and Paper


Elective 4 – Multimodal Composition and Assessment
https://nandosgirl.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/software.gif
https://nandosgirl.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/software.gif

1.  What are the intersections and differences between print-based writing and multimodal writing?

            I believe that writing is a form of communication.  Whether print-based or multimodal, writing has the same goal: to communicate an idea.  Writing has naturally evolved throughout history, and its ability to communicate information is more effective and more efficient than it has ever been.  Writing is now multimodal and does not merely rely on print. 
Multimodality can enrich writing, but it cannot rescue a bad idea or a poor effort at communication.  To that end, I really enjoyed the Bill Gates quote from Neal’s (2011) introduction, “automation applied to an efficient operation will magnify efficiency . . . automation applied to an inefficient operation will magnify inefficiency” (p. 106).  I think that this view of automation applies nicely to the multimodality of writing.  Multimodality can “magnify” a great idea and present it in a dynamic and convincing way.  However, it cannot make a bad idea dynamic and convincing.
In its position statement on Multimodal Literacies, the NCTE (2005) said that, “Integration of multiple modes of communication and expression can enhance or transform the meaning of the work beyond illustration or decoration.”  I agree completely with this view on multimodality.  In my undergraduate years, I double-majored in English Literature and Film.  For me, this was a natural pairing of majors.  To put it simply, I enjoyed stories.  In my literature classes I encountered a lot of great print-based literature, and I was engaged by the quality of the writing.  However, I must admit that my film classes were usually more engaging.  Stories were not limited to print, and my other senses were engaged when watching a film or creating a film in my production classes.  This week’s reading helped me better understand that heightened level of engagement.  Strop and Carlson (2010) created a chart of the five semiotic systems:
 
           
p. 11
This chart shows how film engages all five semiotic systems while a novel only engages two.  This chart also illustrates how other text modes can engage and challenge students.  I think that teachers, including myself, should keep this chart in mind when trying to select texts that will engage students.

2.  How can these intersections and differences be addressed in multimodal composition assessment?

            Assessing multimodal compositions is not an easy task.  The mere variety of modes that are possible with these texts makes them very hard to standardize or “rubricize.”  Neal (2011) addressed this concern, “Perhaps the most challenging obstacles we face in implementing new writing and assessment technologies in our writing classes is ourselves, specifically our lack of expertise and confidence in these new technologies that prevents us from allowing our students to explore new media literacy possibilities in their composing processes,” (p. 126).  I think that Neal’s observation here is a good one, and it should challenge teachers to overcome the obstacle.  We cannot reject multimodality just because it is hard to assess.  We must embrace multimodality and be willing to make mistakes as we figure out the best way to assess this incredibly dynamic world of writing experiences.  Just this week I read an article about Columbia University accepting a graphic novel for a doctoral dissertation in its education program.  It’s a fascinating article that ties directly to this conversation.  I highly recommend it for those interested in multimodal literacies.  It’s good to see that even the most prestigious universities have accepted that texts are now multimodal, and I hope that all educators can embrace this wonderful new world of communication.

My classroom

1.  I’m finally convinced!  After several graduate school courses that embraced multimodality, I am going to actively bring it into my classroom.  In my sophomore class I plan on replacing the notebook journal with a blog.  I have really enjoyed writing blog entries and exploring their multimodality, and I think my students will enjoy it as well.  I know that assessment is possible because of my experiences in these courses, and I know that blogs can help create a sense of community.  Now, I have to talk with the technology team to figure out the safest way to set up this course so that it is in line with school policy.

Works Cited:

NCTE (2005). Position Statement on Multimodal Literacies. Retrieved from: http://www.ncte.org/positions/statements/multimodalliteracies

Neal, M. (2010). Writing assessment and the revolution in digital texts and technologies. New York: Teachers College Press.

Strop, J. & Carlson, J. (2011). Multimedia text sets: Changing the shape of engagement and learning. Portage & Maine Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment