Elective 3 –
E-Assessment of Writing

The Rise of the Machines
Sometimes when I am at school, I choose to grade a pile of
papers or student journals while sitting in the faculty lounge. It is a room with some space for me to get
comfortable as I prepare to make a dent in a stack of assignments that I know
will take me hours and hours to get through.
As I read through pages of student writing, correcting the same mistakes
again and again, it is easy for me to get a little frustrated with my choice in
profession. This frustration only
increases when a history teacher or science teacher strolls into the room with
a stack of Scantron sheets and goes to the machine in the corner. They are able to grade their tests in two
minutes, while I am still trying to repair the introductory paragraph on the
first paper. I will joke with these
teachers about running my stack of papers through the machine, and a part of me
wishes that I could.
The reading that I did this week showed me that this type of
computer-assessment of writing is possible, but may not be the sophisticated
enough to rely on entirely. (Note: I
also believe that Scantrons probably shouldn’t be used so prominently in the
classes of some of my colleagues, but that is another conversation).
Vojak, Kline, Cope, McCarthey, & Kalantzis (2011) really
provided me with a strong introduction to the world of electronic writing
assessment, and I feel that I understand the potential benefits and drawbacks
of the tools that are out there. One
line from the article that really got me thinking about this issues was the
CCCC’s 2004 position statement on digital assessment:
Writing to a machine,
they argue, “violates the social nature of writing” and is thus detrimental to
students’ understanding of writing as a uniform of communication. In addition, the CCCC questions the validity of
machine scoring and the criteria on which machine scoring is based; the CCCC
raises concerns the machine scoring of college papers will lead to high schools
preparing students to write for machines rather than for human audiences. (p.
98)
Teaching to the standardized test has already infiltrated
education enough, and so it would be very detrimental if teachers had to start
teaching writing with a machine-based assessment in mind. Vojak et al. established three key
understandings about writing with this “social nature” in mind. According to Vojak et al. writing is socially
situated, functionally and formally diverse, meaning-making, and can be
conveyed in multiple modalities. With
these key understandings in mind, it is clear that digital writing assessment
cannot fully support a student’s understanding of the writing process.
When reading about the digital-assessment of writing, I was
interested to read the strengths of some of the programs. Their accuracy when compared to a human
scorer is impressive (AES scores within a single point of human grader 97% of
the time), and I like how programs like CPR incorporate peer scoring, teacher
scoring, computer scoring, and self-scoring.
A lot of these programs are innovative and truly amazing, but they are
still flawed. The purpose of assessment
is not to merely provide an accurate grade, but it should also help the student
improve. Without meaningful and direct
feedback from a person, I don’t think students will have much motivation to
improve.
However, these tools should not be neglected
completely. I think that teachers can
use them as supplements. These programs
can be “used to facilitate students’ early drafting and revising process,
followed by human feedback from both the teacher and peers in the later
process” (Vojak et al., p. 104). A
little computer feedback on the front end of the writing process, might allow
teachers to focus on other more important aspects of the writing later in the
process. With a little more focus on
these other aspects, teachers might be able to more readily embrace the
increasingly multi-modal nature of writing.
Cope, Kalantzis, McCarthey, Vojak, & Kline (2011) also
made a lot of great points about digital writing tools. Much of their article was a little
challenging for me to fully grasp, but when I finished it I was blown away by
one of their ideas. They suggest more
assessments rather than less. Initially
this suggestion might seem like a call for tests everyday, but that is not the
case. Rather, they suggest continual
formative assessments that make summative assessments less daunting:
We imagine a time in
the not-too-distant future when there is no practical distinction between
formative and summative. These two forms
of assessment will only ever be used to measure the same thing, for learning
(as you go) and progress in learning (retrospectively) will converge. If and when the day arrives, there will be no
need for the problematic end-of-program, high-stakes, or accountability
defining tests that we have today.
Formative assessment will be pervasive—a repertoire of modes of
machine-assisted social intelligence that provides continuous feedback to
learners in a rapidly responsive manner and with sufficient substantive feedback.
I apologize for the length of the quote, but it really seems
to provide an image of a utopian world of education. Perhaps it is too ambitious, but I appreciate
the attempt to move forward and dream about the possibilities.
Here is a petition I stumbled on this week when I was
researching the topic. I found it
interesting:
http://humanreaders.org/petition/
For My Classroom
I think that the best thing that I can do for my classroom would be to experiment with some of these writing programs this summer. I am especially interested in Calibrated Peer Review (because it's free), but I am not yet very comfortable with any of these programs. I know that these programs will not "do the grading for me" but I think that they might be able to supplement my writing instruction in a way that is beneficial for my students.
For My Classroom
I think that the best thing that I can do for my classroom would be to experiment with some of these writing programs this summer. I am especially interested in Calibrated Peer Review (because it's free), but I am not yet very comfortable with any of these programs. I know that these programs will not "do the grading for me" but I think that they might be able to supplement my writing instruction in a way that is beneficial for my students.
Works Cited:
Cope, B., Kalantzis, M., McCarthey, S., Vojak, C., &
Kline, S. (2011). Technology-Mediated Writing Assessments: Principles and
Processes. Computers and Composition, 28(2), 79–96.
Vojak, C., Kline, S., Cope, B., McCarthey, S., &
Kalantzis, M. (2011). New Spaces and Old Places: An Analysis of Writing
Assessment Software. Computers and Composition, 28(2), 97–111.
(Note: Sorry for the length. I wrote most of this response before watching this week's Voicethread. I promise my next post will be shorter.)
(Note: Sorry for the length. I wrote most of this response before watching this week's Voicethread. I promise my next post will be shorter.)
No comments:
Post a Comment