As a student, I was never a very active participant in class discussion. I'm not sure why exactly. I enjoyed school, and I usually was interested in my classes. I suppose that growing up with three older brothers made me hesitant to join a conversation. My commentary was usually not appreciated in the conversation between brothers, and my thoughts were often met with teasing. I developed a pretty strong self-censoring ability at an early age. I tended to over-think things in the classroom, and I was always hesitant to join in on the conversation. However, I secretly appreciated it when a teacher would sometimes force me into it.
Now that I am a teacher, looking at things from the other side of the desk, I want to reach out to those students who are hesitant to join in. I realize that a quiet student is not necessarily unengaged or unmotivated. Sometimes this type of student just has trouble finding their voice or finding an entryway into the conversation. Yes, I could try to pull him in forcefully. Perhaps he is just waiting for me to do that. However, it is clear to me that another avenue to thoughtful contribution is online.
Online discussion boards and blogs give a voice to a student who doesn't want to speak out loud. Gura (2014) points out that online message boards are a great way to force even the shy kids to participate, "Participation in instructional social networking experiences is mandatory in my class. I will allow shy students to opt out of facing an entire class, but the relative anonymity of the online experiences means 'You must participate!'" (p. 74). I think that this approach can be really effective when it comes to handling the shy ones. Even shy kids want to be heard. The message board allows them to share their thoughts without the vulnerability of face-to-face discussion. Gura (2014) shows the same benefits can occur through blog writing, "Blogging, my students had figured out, was the next best thing to texting. The thrill of participating in social media was contagious" (p. 82). As an English teacher, I sometimes know what it's like to have a room full of silent students. Blogging can clearly energize these students and get the conversation going! It doesn't always have to be spoken conversation!

Too much of a good thing?
It's clear to me that technology is a tool that enriches the classroom. This fact is clear to most teachers. Purcell et al. (2012) found that approximately 75% of teachers felt that the internet and digital resources have had a mostly positive impact on students. However, the same study points out that the abundance of resources and stimulation that can be found on the internet also offers distractions. There is fear that the internet age is creating generations of students with shorter attention spans.
The real challenge for teachers is finding a balance. If I sign out the computer lab so that my students can blog, I need to make sure that they stay on task. Yes, the excitement of blogging may lead to more conversations, but we can't go to the lab every day. Eventually the novelty of the blog may wear off, and the students may spend the lab time in very unproductive ways. Varying the lesson plans and giving students focused tasks can help combat the distractions that come with computers.
One of the most challenging things as a teacher is to figure out why your quiet students like to "hide." There could be a number of reasons ranging from expectations place in the home, lack of self confidence when it comes to speaking up, cultural expectations about learning placed on the child, frustration toward the learning process and the teacher, etc. Our job as teachers is to find out why students are the way they are and "pull" information and conversation out of them. While it is ok for each student to express their unique personality in our classrooms, it is not ok for them "hide" and not show what they know.
ReplyDeleteI can attest to my own experience about not speaking up when I was in gifted education program throughout elementary school. The gifted education teacher valued science and math skills in her students....neither of which I was very good at. I LOVED to write and use my verbal skills but noticed very quickly when the skills that I was good at weren't celebrated or encouraged. All the teacher seemed to care about where students who had a high IQ and who were doing things with the space program available at the school. I didn't have any interest in those things at all so naturally, I made it my goal every week while in her class to hide and blend in with the crowd. I just didn't want to be called on to answer questions about things that I didn't care about.
That went on for 4 years until I reached Middle School and had a gifted education teacher that celebrated my writing skills and taught me strategies to improve. I blossomed! I can still remember those couple of years with great warmth as I grew in my abilities thanks to caring teaching.
So when it comes to technology use in our classrooms, perhaps technology could be a tool with which you are able to engage those students who are attempting to just blend in. Depending on the age of your students apps, tools, and websites can all be a way for them to learn and express themselves individually and with a group. Technology can be a way to have their unique needs met and as a way for them to create products that show their unique personality. Like you said, "the real challenge for teachers is finding balance" and I believe that with the correct balance of technology and personalized attention that any student in your classroom can thrive.
Great post!
I understand your struggle with quiet or timid students. Sometimes I am tempted to have them read aloud in class just so I can hear their voices. I completely agree that online blogs and chats can really help more reserved students find a way to share their thoughts, opinions, and confusions. As for keeping students on task with technology, the best practices I have found are clear expectations and consequences.
ReplyDeleteI really connected to your post, because I was that painfully shy student in school. What a wonderful way to engage those students who are hesitant to join into class discussions, through technology. Maybe without realizing this, you are also teaching your students the power of writing, and words. Students need to learn how the difference between saying something aloud to a person and writing it down. When talking aloud you have tone and emotions, making it easily to make your message clear. When writing students need to be even more precise. You mention a really important point when you talk about finind a balance between using blogging in the classroom and using other more traditional methods of teaching. This is always a challenge for me; using technology but ensuring students are on track, and with that finding the right balance.
ReplyDelete