Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Tool Review: This I Believe




Tool Review: This I Believe


Description

From the website:
“This I Believe is an international organization engaging people in writing and sharing essays describing the core values that guide their daily lives. Over 125,000 of these essays, written by people from all walks of life, are archived here on our website, heard on public radio, chronicled through our books, and featured in weekly podcasts. The project is based on the popular 1950s radio series of the same name hosted by Edward R. Murrow.”

My description:
This I Believe is a webpage that hosts thousands of personal essays.   The authors of the essays vary in age, race, sex, and every other category.  The essays themselves have equal variation in their topics.  However, despite the variety of the authors and their works, they are united in their purpose.  These essays share the beliefs and values of their authors.  As a collection, they provide a special kind of truth.  This truth may not be universal or life changing, but it offers some clarification of life through the eyes of the authors.

Price/Availability
The website is free in a PBS/NPR kind of way.  There is no cost to use it, and there does not seem to be any limitation on the free content.  However, most pages within the site do have a “Make A Donation” advertisement, and if you explore the website for long enough a pop-up donation request will eventually prompt you to contribute.  However, if you can handle the guilt of not donating to PBS and NPR, then you probably won’t feel obligated to donate to this website. 

The website also offers instructional materials for teachers of all grade levels.  These materials are customized by state, but are only available for $19.95.

The site also has a store that sells books and CD’s, however there is no obligation to buy them.
Sample Featured Essay:

Essays that are “featured” on the website are accompanied by an audio file of the author reading his/her work: http://thisibelieve.org/essay/31232/



REVIEW

Rationale for Selecting This I Believe

As a writing teacher, I am always looking for examples of good writing for my students.  With my sophomore class, I do a unit on writing a short story.  When I was scouring the web for examples of good short fiction, I stumbled upon NPR’s three-minute fiction contest.  This website offered a cornucopia of short fiction that was well written.  Not only was it well written, but it also showed my students that non-professional writers can write great stories and be recognized!  The website is great for my classes because it provides great examples of writing and offers my students a chance at fame.  I have found a similar website for my 7th graders and their poetry unit, but I have yet to find a great site for personal essay writing in my freshman class. 

My school is also really trying to improve the way that it helps seniors with their college essays, because our students have struggled greatly with personal writing.  They can write fiction and argumentative papers, but they get uncomfortable when it is time to get personal.  This I Believe seems to offer exactly what I need.  It is a website that provides a plenitude of personal essays, and it also provides a chance for students to be recognized!  Too often, the students feel like their only audience is the teacher.  These types of websites and contests provide a larger audience.



Tool Review Rubric


Exceeds expectations
Meets expectations
Does not meet expectations
Credibility of website developers
- Who funds website?
- What is mission of website?
- Is the content biased?
 ✔


Relevancy to context
- Is the material on the website beneficial to my classroom?
- Do the essays serve as mentor texts for my students?
✔


Appropriateness for target audience and level
- Are the topics of the essays appropriate for a 9th grade classroom?
- Are the essays challenging enough for 9th grade students?

✔

Website design and usability
-Is the website easy to navigate?
-Is the information organized in a logical way?
✔


Performance of website features
- Do pages load quickly and easily?
Do audio files load and play without delay
✔



Credibility
Credibility was an extremely important factor for me.  I teach my students to be critical of the information that they consume, and we are always on the lookout for bias.  I was very pleased with the credibility of this website.  It is an “established” brand and is funded by users who voluntarily contribute.  Dan Gediman, the executive producer of This I Believe says, “The goal is not to persuade Americans to agree on the same beliefs. Rather, the hope is to encourage people to begin the much more difficult task of developing respect for beliefs different from their own.”   I believe that the website lives by this idea.  The variety of opinions on the website ensure that the content does not have an agenda or bias.

Relevancy
I had a very specific reason for choosing This I Believe.  I wanted to bring it into my freshman classroom and use the essays as mentor texts for my students’ personal writing.  After poking around on the website for a few minutes, I immediately realized that I could find essays that were beneficial to my classroom.  There are essays on just about any topic that might come up in a Language Arts classroom, and they are organized in a user-friendly way (more on that later).

Appropriateness for Target Audience
Appropriateness is always a concern when bringing something new into the classroom.  You don’t want to expose your students to inappropriate material and you also don’t want to bring in material that is too challenging and might frustrate them easily.  You also don’t want to bring in material that is not challenging enough because it will bore them.  This website has every type of essay that you could hope for, although they are not organized by intended audience.  You can search for an essay based on the author’s age, but not on the age of the appropriate audience.  This complaint is a small one, but it might not be a great idea to turn younger students loose on the website.  There are essays that deal with addiction, morality, race, and other serious topics.

Website Design
If a website is frustrating or difficult to navigate, then it does not matter if it has great content.  I found the design of This I Believe to be very easy to navigate.  It has featured essays, but you can also browse by theme or search by topic, author, or even age of the author.  There is also an Educators tab that has easily accessible lesson plans and ideas for the classroom.

Performance
Performance goes hand in hand with design when it comes to evaluating a website.  If a website cannot perform quickly and effectively, then users will get frustrated and look for a better performing website.  The pages load quickly and easily.  The audio files that correspond to each featured essay load instantly, and the sound quality is professional.  Note: The website also is mobile and tablet friendly!

The Verdict
I think that This I Believe is a great tool for the classroom.  The sheer abundance of essays and topics makes it a wonderful resource, and I think that students would enjoy exploring the website and reading/listening to the essays.  A teacher might need to screen and select essays for younger students, but older students could navigate the website on their own.  The wealth of information on the website could not be easily replicated in the print world.  I don’t think that there are comparable resources out there that are as extensive and as well organized as This I Believe.


PUTTING IT IN THE CLASSROOM

English Language Arts Standards (CCGPS) that apply:

ELACC9-10RL2: Determine a theme or central idea of text and analyze in detail its development over the course of the text, including how it emerges and is shaped and refined by specific details; provide an objective summary of the text.

ELACC9-10RL5: Analyze how an author’s choices concerning how to structure a text, order events within it (e.g., parallel plots), and manipulate time (e.g., pacing, flashbacks) create such effects as mystery, tension, or surprise.

ELACC9-10RL6:
Analyze a particular point of view or cultural experience reflected in a work of literature from outside the United States, drawing on a wide reading of world literature.

ELACC9-10RI10:
By the end of grade 9, read and comprehend literary nonfiction in the grades 9-10 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.  By the end of grade 10, read and comprehend literary nonfiction in the grades 9-10 text complexity band independently and proficiently.

ELACC9-10W3: Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, well-chosen details, and well-structured event sequences.

ELACC9-10W6:
Use technology, including the Internet, to produce, publish, and update individual or shared writing products, taking advantage of technology’s capacity to link to other information and to display information flexibly and dynamically.


How do I get started?
It’s easy!  Just go to http://thisibelieve.org/ and start exploring.  The toolbar at the top makes exploring easy:



If you want to brows the essays, just click on explore:



Some Ideas for Literacy Instruction:
·      A unit on personal narrative writing that uses the essays as mentor texts
·      Select a theme from a novel and explore related essays with that same theme in order to initiate conversation
·      Select an essay as a means to introducing a text.  For example: Use an essay on race to introduce a text like To Kill A Mockingbird


I hope this helps you teachers out there!  I highly recommend this site for the classroom!




3 comments:

  1. Michael,

    This is Jacinth Robotham by the way. I have heard of this tool before but never actually investigated. Your review provided an excellent overview of it. I think I would like to use it for discussion generation as well as it could provide some good mentor texts for my students for writing. The ideas you provided fits well within a language arts context. I like the idea of personal narratives. I believe the website is very credible especially since it is managed on a similar format as NPR and Public radio. The cost to purchase the CD if desired is minimal. I also like that each essay comes with an audio files. This feature works well for low readers, students with disabilities and auditory learners. It also help the reader/listener to hear the author's tone and to see the relationship between speaking and writing. I am appreciative of the exposure and will be using this tool in my classroom as well as sharing it with my colleagues

    ReplyDelete
  2. BrickPollitt,
    This I Believe seems like a great resource for all Language Arts or English teachers regardless of grade level. So much of what I teach now is based on point of view, perspective, and how authors present similar information differently. Trying to pull together resources for such an activity can be very difficult. I typically spend 1 to 2 hours trying to find different perspectives on one issue. Many times these texts are written at a level that is too high for six graders.

    It can be difficult to teach students to look beyond their own personal opinion. A site such as this would provide teachers with a great resource for teaching author's purpose. This I Believe could also be used for delving into personal bias and fact vs opinion. In addition to meeting many of the standards, I found many quality examples of student writing on this site, something that can be difficult to find.

    Sean Spade

    ReplyDelete